Public Policy Advocacy
The Arc of Indiana works to inspire positive change in public policy and public attitudes.
The Arc of Indiana has a full time presence at the Indiana State House, and, as an affiliate of The Arc of the United States, in the halls of Congress. Through our work with elected officials and leaders of state agencies we advocate for funding, legislation, regulations and policies that make a positive difference in the lives of people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities and families.
Our history of change includes:
- Ensuring all infants and toddlers with disabilities receive early intervention and preschool services
- Leading the fight to allow all children to attend public schools
- Working to close Indiana’s state institutions for people with I/DD
- Fighting for legislation and funding to provide Medicaid Waivers for home and community based services
- Leading a successful campaign that is moving people off waiting lists and into services funded by the Medicaid Waiver
- Ensuring that health insurance covers treatment for pervasive developmental disorders, including autism
Our work is not done. Whether you are a parent, sister, brother, grandparent, friend or a person with a disability – YOU can make a difference by joining The Arc’s public policy advocacy efforts.
- Sign-up to receive Legislative Memos & Action Alerts from The Arc US and The Arc of Indiana
- Visit The Arc’s Legislative Action Center for information on federal legislation
- Visit the Indiana General Assembly for information on state legislation and links to contact your state legislators
- Find contact information for your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative
- Advocacy Guide – You Can Make a Difference
- Read The Arc of Indiana 2017 Public Policy Agenda
- Read The Arc of Indiana 2017 Public Policy Agenda Executive Summary