The Arc of Indiana works to inspire positive change in public policy and public attitudes.
Through volunteers and staff, The Arc has a full time presence at the Indiana State House, and, as an affiliate of The Arc of the United States, in the halls of Congress. Through our work with elected officials and leaders of state agencies we advocate for funding, legislation, regulations and policies that make a positive difference in the lives of people with intellectual and other developmental disabilities and families.
Our history of change includes:
- Ensuring all infants and toddlers with disabilities receive early intervention and preschool services.
- Leading the fight to allow all children to attend public schools.
- Working to close Indiana’s state institutions, allowing former residents to live successfully in the community and making Indiana the largest state without state institutions for people with developmental disabilities.
- Fighting for legislation and funding to provide Medicaid Waivers for home and community based services.
- Leading a successful campaign that is moving people off waiting lists and into services funded by the Medicaid waiver.
- Ensuring that health insurance covers treatment for pervasive developmental disorders, including autism.
Our work is not done. Whether you are a parent, sister, brother, grandparent, friend or a person with a disability – YOU can make a difference by joining The Arc’s public policy advocacy efforts.
> Sign-up to receive Legislative Memos & Action Alerts on state and federal legislation.
> Visit The Arc’s Legislative Action Center – your one stop to find information about:
- State and federal issues impacting people with I/DD
- Elected Officials
- Elections and Candidates
- The Arc’s Legislative Memos and Action Alerts
> Learn who represents you at the Indiana General Assembly and in Congress.
> Visit the Indiana General Assembly to find information on legislation, committees, committee hearings, and links to contact your state legislators.
> Advocacy Guide – You Can Make a Difference
> Read The Arc of Indiana 2016 Public Policy Agenda
> Read The Arc of Indiana 2016 Public Policy Agenda Executive Summary
State House Parking Information